Thursday 26 March 2009

Henbury Court Primary School is on the up!

"As Chair of Governors I would like to say that I am proud to be associated with Henbury Court Primary School and am delighted at the new building. I would like to pay tribute to everyone who works in the school for the way that they gave up much of their own time to deal with the various moves that had to take place and to ensure that, despite the building chaos over most of the year, the school managed to run smoothly. The whole school was in attendance at the Grand Opening and they sang 'Don't build your house on sand' brilliantly, complete with actions.

I often walk around the school and am impressed by the friendliness and confidence of the children: although academic results are clearly important and are always stressed, it is equally important for children to feel happy in school and to enjoy learning. I was recently in school during their 'creative curriculum' week when each class chose an 'Imaginary world' theme, such as aliens, underground and stick world. They decorated their classrooms appropriately and the curriculum for that week was largely based on that theme. It is events like this that make learning both fun and memorable. The school is a lively place to be in and there is always some event about to happen - this term there is a Dance Festival when the whole school will take part, an Easter Bonnet Parade and an Egg Decorating Competitition.

I would like to share with you just one other experience. Wanting to meet recently with Sue Anstey, the Head, I was told the only chance I had that week was to catch up with her at the Swimming Gala at Henbury Pool. There, our children did pretty well, but one other school struggled to find four children who could swim a length. One of our boys offered to swim for them and this he did. I thought this was so generous, but when I commented on it to his class teacher she said that was the sort of thing she would expect. I think that sums up why I am proud to be a governor at the school. It is definitely a school that is going forward.”

Daphne Kerslake, Chair of Governors
Henbury Court Primary School.

No comments: