Tuesday 20 July 2010

Sponsored Bike Ride for Youth Community Street Dance

“My daughter, Charlotte Leslie, was recently elected as MP for Bristol North West.I have been involved in some of the projects that she has set up in her constituency. One of them is a Street Dance Class in conjunction with Emmanuel Chapel Youth Group in Henbury.As you are aware, there is a lot of street crime and youth problems in that area, and these classes proved to be extremely successful in getting some of the children off the streets engaging in a challenging physical pastime as well as building community spirit.The project has the backing of the local police in their quest to protect the majority of children from falling into the hands of a few dangerous groups of youths, and thus minimising the growth of the problem of violent crime and drug related problems.

Emmanuel Chapel Youth Group managed to raise enough funds for one term of the dance classes, which are run by the Thornbury based Performing Arts Centre, NGM. These funds have run out, and I have taken it upon myself to raise £2000 to set up the dance activity on a permanent basis.
I am a great believer in physical activity for all age groups, and have recently taken up cycling as part of triathlon training. I therefore thought that I could combine my love of cycling with the good cause of helping the youth of Henbury, and, indirectly, the whole community.
I have pledged to cycle 50 miles round Bristol on August 21st which coincides with Henbury Fun Day.The children will hopefully be performing a dance which they have learned, and the teachers will also be putting on a performance.I am trying to involve parents and the local community in this project, but £2000 is a lot of money and I have to explore every avenue!”

Jane Lesley

No comments: