Tuesday 22 March 2011

Arthritis Care Volunteer


Salutations BS10.
My name is Sharon Blake and I am one of the many Arthritis Care volunteers working within South West England. I began working for Arthritis Care in 2008 after attending the 'Challenging Your Condition' course. My roles include giving out information about Arthritis Care and running information stalls, as well as giving information talks around the South West this ranges from local events to professionals,
community groups and the general public. I also deliver 'Challenging pain' workshops in and around the Bristol area. I completed the course as a participant in 2008. I found the course very rewarding to help myself to become a good self-manager of my long term conditions CFS/ME, Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis. The course helped me to discover ways to manage my everyday life through learning techniques such as – relaxation, recognition of symptoms, communication, managing pain & fatigue, problem solving, planning and working with your health care professionals. I also work with young people with arthritis across the South of England as part of the Young People's Service programme. I also sit on the South West Regional Committee and I am the volunteer health and safety champion for the south of England. Arthritis Care has a Free Confidential helpline 0808 800 4050. You can access lots of information via the website or the helpline. Arthritis Care 'Pain Management' courses are free to all participants and you don't just have to have arthritis. I have run courses for people with Parkinson's, CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia, Diabetes as well as other long term health conditions. Arthritis Care is a year older than the NHS, and has won awards for its website, helpline and booklets. For more information check out the Arthritis Care website www.arthritiscare.org.uk or feel free to contact me. My details are Shassblake@hotmail.co.uk or Mobile 0796 393 7383.

No comments: